Assistant Professor in Animal Science
Office: ABL 320B
Lab: ABL 332
Dr. Tang currently has an opening for a graduate student in his lab. Please contact him for more information.
Ph.D. (Animal Science), University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2012
- Research Investigator, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Cambridge, MA, 2004
- Sr. Research Associate, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Cambridge, MA, 2002
- Research Associate, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, 1999
- Guest Scientist, University of Erlangen-Nurnberg, Germany, 1997
- M.S. (Medical Genetics), Hunan Medical University, P.R. China, 1996
- Bachelor of Medicine (5-Year Program Including 1-Year Clinical Internship), Hunan Medical University, P.R. China, 1993
||Principles of Animal Genetics
- Generation of completely reprogrammed induced pluripotent stem cells of domestic animals
- Understanding epigenetic and signaling pathways controlling somatic cell reprogramming, stem cell maintenance, and differentiation processes
- Study of viral pathogenic pathways to improve the animal health and reproduction, as well as the treatment of human diseases
- PITCH Promising Project Award, 2018
- Atomwise Award, 2017 - Learn more about this award here.
- USDA/NIFA Fellowship Award, 2013
- Excellence in Graduate Research Award, UCONN, 2011
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Award, UCONN, 2011
- Xiangzhong (Jerry) Yang Graduate Research Excellence Award, UCONN, 2011
- Employee Star Award, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 2004
- Employee Star Award, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 2003
Wang L., Jiang Z., Huang D., Duan J., Huang C., Sullivan S., Vali K., Yin Y., Zhang M., Wegrzyn J., Tian X., Tang Y. JAK/STAT3 regulated global gene expression dynamics during late-stage reprogramming process. BMC Genomics. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-018-4507-2.
Huang D., Wang L., Duan J., Huang C., Tian X., Zhang M., Tang Y. LIF activated Jak signaling determines Esrrb expression during late stage reprogramming. Biology Open 2017 : bio.029264 doi: 10.1242/bio.029264.
Wang, L., Huang, DL., Huang, C., Yin, YX., Vali, K., Zhang, M., Tang, Y. Enhanced human somatic cell reprogramming efficiency by fusion of the MYC transactivation domain and OCT4. Stem Cell Research. 2017. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scr.2017.10.014.
Wang L, Huang D, Jiang Z, Luo Y, Norris C, Zhang M, Tian X, Tang Y. pii: bio.024505. doi: 10.1242/bio.024505. Akt3 is responsible for the survival and proliferation of embryonic stem cells. Biol Open. May 8, 2017. Epub ahead of print.
Talbot, N. C., Wang, L., Garrett, W. M., Caperna, T. J., Tang, Y. (2016). Establishment and characterization of feeder cell-dependent bovine fetal liver cell lines. 52. (3), 314-26. In vitro cellular & developmental biology. Animal.
Jiang, Z., Tang Y., Zhao, X., Zhang, M., Blomberg, L., Tian, X. Knockdown of Brm and Baf170, Components of Chromatin Remodeling Complex, Facilitates Reprogramming of Somatic Cells. Stem Cell and Development. May 2015. Ahead of Print.
Lin, C.-J., Amano, T., Tang Y., Tian, X. (2014). Improved derivation efficiency and pluripotency of stem cells from the refractory inbred C57BL/6 mouse strain by small molecules. PLoS ONE(9 ed.), e106916. September 11, 2014.
Jiang, Z., Sun, J., Dong, H., Luo, O., Zheng, X., Obergfell, C. J., Tang Y., Bi, J., O'Neill, R. J., Ruan, Y., Chen, J., Tian, X. (2014). Transcriptional profiles of bovine in vivo pre-implantation development. BMC genomics, vol. 15, 756. September 4, 2014.
Tang Y, Jiang Z, Luo Y, Zhao X, Wang L, Norris C, Tian XC. (2014). Differential Effects of Akt Isoforms on Somatic Cell Reprogramming. J. Cell Sci. Jul 18. pii: jcs.150029. [Epub ahead of print]
Yuan Y, Su M, Song Y, Tang Y, Tian XC, Rood D and Lai L. (2014). Tbx1 Modulates Endodermal and Mesodermal Differentiation from Mouse Induced Pluripotent Stem cells. Stem Cells Dev. 23(13):1491-500.
Tang Y and Tian XC. (2013). Jak/Stat3 and Somatic Cell Reprogramming. JAK-STAT. 2:e24935; http://dx.doi.org/10.4161/jkst.24935 (Invited Review).
Tang Y, Luo Y, Jiang Z, Ma Y, Lin CJ, Kim C, Carter MG, Amano T, Park J, Kish S, and Tian XC. (2012). Jak/Stat3 Signaling Promotes Complete Reprogramming by Epigenetic Regulation. Stem Cells. doi: 10.1002/stem.1225.
Tang Y, Lin CJ, and Tian XC. (2011). Functionality and Transduction Condition Evaluation of Recombinant Klf4 for Improved Reprogramming of iPS Cells. Cellular Reprogram. 13(2):99-112.
Park J, Kim C, Tang Y, Amano A, Lin CJ and Tian XC. (2011). Reprogramming of Mouse Fibroblasts to An Intermediate State of Differentiation by Chemical Induction. Cellular Reprogram. 13(2):121-31.
Fernandez-Valle C, Tang Y, Richard J, Rodenas-Ruano A, Taylor A, Hackler E, Biggerstaff J & Lacovelli J. (2002). Paxillin Binds Schwannomin and Regulates Its Density-Dependent Localization and Effect on Cell Morphology. Nature Genetics. 31(4):354-62.
Schmucker B, Tang Y and Kressel M. (1999). Novel Alternatively Spliced Isoforms of the Neurofibromatosis Type 2 Tumor Suppressor Are Targeted to the Nucleus and Cytoplasmic Granules. Hum. Mol. Genet. 8(8): 1561-70.
Tang Y, Xia JH, Zhou JN, Li HJ, Wang DP, Dai HP, Long ZG, Tang BS, Huang L and Deng HX. (1998). Localization of the Gene for 4 Hereditary Multiple Exostoses Families. I Chuan Hsueh Pao. (ACTA Genetica Sinica). 25(1): 1-7.
Hobbies/ Non-Academic Interests